A Psyche the Size of EarthThe Burren, Ireland, March 30 – April 2, 2020
I’m delighted to be offering an intensive three-night workshop in the beautiful Burren, Co Clare, Ireland. The workshop begins late afternoon, Monday March 30, and ends with lunch, Thursday April 2. (Please note: this event is timed to take place just before my HedgeWise festival, which runs from Thursday April 2 to Sunday April 5. More details of that event here.)
The old myths, stories and philosophies of the West offer up a world in which everything is not only alive, but has purpose, intentionality of its own. Over the centuries, this old knowledge has been deliberately overwritten. And so we’ve forgotten how to listen to the song the mountain sings. We’ve forgotten how to listen to the voice of the ancestor who comes to show us how to take up the shimmering mythlines of the past, and weave them into the tapestry of the present. We’ve fallen out of myth.
In this unique workshop, we’ll learn once again how to fully participate in what depth psychologist James Hillman called ‘a psyche the size of Earth’. We’ll go out and listen to the land’s dreaming, and in the process, we’ll find ourselves getting dreamt. We’ll deepen our relationship with the soul of this world – the anima mundi – in order to uncover and explore not only our own unique mythopoetic identity, but the unique gift, or ‘calling’ – the hidden treasure – which each one of us brings to this world. Through personal myth, fairy-tale narratives and imagery, journeying, dreamwork and land-based practices, we’ll find our own unique bridge to the imaginal world: the mundus imaginalis of ancient tradition; the richly mythic and archetypal Otherworld of the Gaelic tradition to which I belong..
The work we’ll do is rooted in mythology and archetypal psychology – but above all, it’s rooted in authentic relationship with this beautiful animate Earth, and a deeply grounded participation in the land where our feet are planted.
This workshop is open to both men and women.
Dr Sharon Blackie is an award-winning writer of fiction and nonfiction, a mythologist with a specialisation in Celtic Studies, and a psychologist who has specialised both in neuroscience and narrative. Her unique approach to working with myth, fairy tales and folklore highlights the insights these traditions can offer us into authentic and meaningful ways of being which are founded on a deep sense of belonging to place, a rootedness in the land we inhabit. See www.sharonblackie.net
Now I know why people worship,
carry around magic emblems,
wake up talking dreams
they teach to their children;
the world speaks.
The world speaks everything to us.
It is our only friend.
WILLIAM STAFFORD, ‘EARTH DWELLER’
Location: the Boghill Centre
HedgeWise will take place at the Boghill Centre, near the small spa town of Lisdoonvarna in the heart of the Burren, Co Clare. The Burren is a unique karst landscape which incorporates a vast cracked pavement of glacial-era limestone. It’s home to countless cliffs and caves, fossils, rock formations and archaeological sites, and a remarkable variety of plants and animals. On the Atlantic coast, the precipitous world-famous Cliffs of Moher are home to thousands of seabirds. The area is also a heartland of traditional Irish music.
The nearest airport is Shannon, which is about two hours away by bus (to Lisdoonvarna), or a faster journey (around 45 mins) by car.
Visit the Boghill Centre website for more information about the venue and its location.
Bookings for the workshop have two components:
(1) a workshop fee of €465,* which must be paid by all attendees, and which includes lunch on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and dinner on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday;
(2) if accommodation is required, an extra fee based on bed and breakfast either in a simple hostel room with shared bathroom facilities (€75 for three nights in bunk beds; rooms normally hold 3–6 people but depending on numbers we will try to spread attendees out as much as possible!), or camping (€45 for three nights). Bedlinen is provided; if towels are required they’re available at a small charge. If you are camping you will need to bring everything you need with you including your tent; access to indoor shower and toilet facilities is included in the price.
We also have two single rooms with a shared bathroom (as of June 2019, these rooms are currently booked), and three en-suite twin rooms which can also be offered as singles. If you would like to occupy one then please email us (sharonblackiemythmakings[at]gmail[dot]com) and if they’re still available we’ll send you a link to pay for these rooms separately. The total workshop price for private accommodation is €576 for single rooms, €576 per person in a twin en suite if you would like to share with a friend, or €595 to occupy a twin en-suite room as a single. .
If you would like to organise your own accommodation, bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation is available in the nearby town of Lisdoonvarna (around 2-3 km away). If this is your plan, then please just purchase a workshop-only ticket. If you don’t have your own transport, the nearest B&Bs are Cannville Guesthouse, Ballytigue, Lisdoonvarna – about an 8-minute walk away – 00353(0)65-7075785 (ring or search and book online) and Elements – about 1.5 miles away – a 25-minute walk – 00353(0)65 7075849 or 00353(0)876778423; firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND HEDGEWISE AS WELL, AND WOULD LIKE TO REDUCE YOUR UPFRONT COSTS BY PAYING IN TWO INSTALMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT US AT INFO[AT]THEHEDGESCHOOL[DOT]ORG.
Pay for this workshop online via PayPal
WORKSHOP ONLY: €465
HOSTEL ROOM: €540
CAMPING PER PERSON: €510
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
1. If you are paying by PayPal and have a PayPal account, please make sure that the email address associated with your account is correct, to ensure that your acknowledgement email (which will act as your ticket) is sent to the right place. If you would like to have your acknowledgement email sent to a different email address, or if you would like to purchase a ticket as a gift for someone else, please email us (info[at]thehedgeschool[dot]org) with the details as soon as you’ve made your PayPal payment.
2. Once you’ve made your payment you will receive a PayPal receipt for your payment. We always then acknowledge all sign-ups individually by email. If you do not hear from us within three working days of signing up please check your junk mail folder before contacting us again
3. No refunds will be offered on the workshop portion of your ticket (€300), though food and accommodation refunds will be possible until January 12, 2020.
Please note that we do not have the resources to offer travel advice. The Boghill Centre website offers more detailed location information.
If you have any queries about the event, please contact us rather than the Boghill Centre: sharonblackiemythmakings[at]gmail[dot]com
*A portion of the workshop fee includes VAT at 23%.
Image by Nikolai Astrup