Announcing HedgeWise 2020
Reclaiming our indigenous roots
Bayo Akomolafe – Sharon Blackie –
Pat McCabe (Woman Stands Shining) – Manda Scott
We’re excited to announce HedgeWise 2020, the second annual Hedge School open event. It’s a mini-festival which will take place in 2020 from Thursday April 2 (arriving any time from 3pm onwards for a 4pm start) to Sunday April 5 (finishing at 4pm), in the beautiful landscape of the Burren, Co Clare, in the west of Ireland. During this rich and informal gathering, we’ll explore with our keynote speakers what it means to reclaim our indigenous roots.
If you’d like to guarantee your attendance at this very special weekend, please visit the booking section below. Tickets are only available for the full weekend, and there is a strict limit of 50 participants.
Prior to this event, Hedge School founder Dr Sharon Blackie will be offering an intensive three-day workshop entitled ‘A Psyche the Size of Earth’. Details are at this link.
HedgeWise will take place at the Boghill Centre, near the small spa town of Lisdoonvarna in the heart of the Burren, Co Clare. The Burren is a unique karst landscape which incorporates a vast cracked pavement of glacial-era limestone. It’s home to countless cliffs and caves, fossils, rock formations and archaeological sites, and a remarkable variety of plants and animals. On the Atlantic coast, the precipitous world-famous Cliffs of Moher are home to thousands of seabirds. The area is also a heartland of traditional Irish music.
The nearest airport is Shannon, which is about two hours away by bus (to Lisdoonvarna), or a faster journey (around 45 mins) by car.
Visit the Boghill Centre website for more information about the venue and its location.
A detailed programme will be available later in the year, but it will be based around intensive, experiential and transformative workshops with the following speakers. (With apologies, the programme is now full and we’re unable to accept suggestions or offerings from others.)
Dr Sharon Blackie is an award-winning writer, psychologist, mythologist, and founder of The Hedge School: www.sharonblackie.net
Bayo Akomolafe is a Nigerian-born lecturer, speaker, and proud diaper-changer who curates an earth-wide project for the re-calibration of our ability to respond to civilisational crisis – a project framed within a feminist ethos and inspired by indigenous cosmologies: www.bayoakomolafe.net
Pat McCabe (Woman Stands Shining)
Pat McCabe is a Diné (Navajo) mother, grandmother, activist, artist, writer, ceremonial leader and international speaker. www.patmccabe.net
Manda Scott is a bestselling writer (author of the ‘Boudica’ series, ‘Into the Fire’ and ‘A Treachery of Spies’, among others) and teacher of shamanic dreaming: see www.mandascott.co.uk
Dr Joanna Gilar is a storyteller and fairy tale specialist based in the south of England: www.fabularosa.co.uk
Tickets for the long weekend have two components:
(1) an event fee of €465, which must be paid by all attendees, and which includes lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday;*
(2) if accommodation is required, an extra fee based on bed and breakfast either in a simple hostel room with shared bathroom facilities (€75 for three nights in bunk beds; rooms hold 3–6 people), or camping (€45 for three nights). Bedlinen is provided; if towels are required they’re available at an extra charge. If you are camping you will need to bring everything required with you including your tent; access to indoor shower and toilet facilities is included.
If you would like to organise your own accommodation, bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation is available in the nearby town of Lisdoonvarna (around 2-3 km away). If this is your plan, then please just purchase an event-only ticket. If you don’t have your own transport, the nearest B&Bs are Cannville Guesthouse, Ballytigue, Lisdoonvarna – about an 8-minute walk away – 00353(0)65-7075785 (ring or search and book online) and Elements – about 1.5 miles away – a 25-minute walk – 00353(0)65 7075849 or 00353(0)876778423; email@example.com.
IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND SHARON’S WORKSHOP AS WELL, AND WOULD LIKE TO REDUCE YOUR UPFRONT COSTS BY PAYING IN TWO INSTALMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT US AT INFO[AT]THEHEDGESCHOOL[DOT]ORG
Purchase your ticket online via PayPal
EVENT ONLY: €465
HOSTEL ROOM, FEMALE: €540
CAMPING PER PERSON: €510
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
1. If you are paying by PayPal and have a PayPal account, please make sure that the email address associated with your account is correct, to ensure that your acknowledgement email (which will act as your ticket) is sent to the right place. If you would like to have your acknowledgement email sent to a different email address, or if you would like to purchase a ticket as a gift for someone else, please email us (info[at]thehedgeschool[dot]org) with the details as soon as you’ve made your PayPal payment.
2. Once you’ve made your payment you will receive a PayPal receipt for your payment. We always then acknowledge all sign-ups individually by email. If you do not hear from us within three working days of signing up please check your junk mail folder before contacting us again
3. No refunds will be offered on the event portion of your ticket (€300), though food and accommodation refunds will be possible until January 8, 2020.
Please note that we do not have the resources to offer travel advice. The Boghill Centre website offers more detailed location information.
If you have any queries about the event, please contact us rather than the Boghill Centre: sharonblackiemythmakings[at]gmail[dot]com.
*A portion of the event fee includes VAT at 23%.
Image by Nikolai Astrup